A False Security

February 12, 2012 - 5:00 am

“When I felt secure, I said,
   ‘I will never be shaken.’
 Lord, when you favored me,
   you made my royal mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
   I was dismayed.”—Psalm 30:6–7

When all is going well in our lives, we tend to think we’re immune from hardships and trials. We get a promotion and pay raise at work, and we believe we have job security . . . until the unthinkable happens and we are let go. We’re diligent about making wise investments with our money and believe we have financial security . . . until the stock market crashes. We’re following a good diet plan and exercising and feel we will always enjoy good health . . . until the test comes back positive.

When things are going well, we feel much like David did in Psalm 30, “When I felt secure, I said, ‘I will never be shaken.’” David was obviously at the top of his game when he wrote Psalm 30, and his sense of security made him feel invincible. God’s blessings and favor had made him feel secure like a mountain.

How quickly David had forgotten the source of his true security. In fact, the Hebrew word for “secure,” selew, implies a careless ease. Secure in his fortune and God’s favor, David apparently had forgotten to trust in God and began to become self-focused — self-sufficient, self-confident, and self-reliant!

David had become lax until God hid His face from David — an expression meaning that God had removed his blessing and protection from David. The results for David were devastating. As the New Living Translation says, “Then you turned away from me, and I was shattered.” Immediately, in the next verse, David cried out to God and begged for mercy.

We, too, may get careless about our faith. We may allow our possessions, our education or careers, our sense of well-being, even our families or friends, to distract us. We may become more dependent on our abilities and our accomplishments, forgetting that it is God who has blessed us. When this happens, the urgency to pray or spend time with God is lessened. We may be lulled into a false sense of security.

And when the unthinkable happens, like David, we are crushed.

Thankfully, David offers us the antidote to becoming overconfident. In the last verse, after God has restored David and turned his “wailing into dancing,” David vows that “I will praise you forever.”

When we continually turn to God with grateful hearts and thank Him for what He has done in our lives, we will keep our focus where it belongs — on God, not ourselves.

Things going well right now? What a great time to stop and thank the One who provides us with true security.

6 Responses to A False Security

1. linda williams says:

This is so true. I trust in God for everything,through Jesus Christ.This message would be good for people to read.Have a blessed day.

2. Wayne Cunningham says:

Thank you for honest insight that walks in biblical accuracy!!! Its hard to find these days………..

3. Pastor Garry Oliver says:

Thank ou so much for this today. It strck home with me as I was listening to Whitney Houston sing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iql92NWt30&feature=related. Let’s pray that everyone may experience the Amazing Grace of the Lord. Whitney Houston apparently was a Believer and lost her grip on things. Will the Lord not accept ALL US SINNERS into His Forever Kingdom someday, even though we too do not deserve it and lose our grip on things at sometime in our lives? Ollie

4. Julie says:

I suspect why there are so many Christians who read
    This devotional site is because : we don’t get this in our churches !
    And if we do … It’s a watered down version and not during the right time
    We need to hear it!
    So me as a Christian … I see this is Always “a right now ” word
    From The Lord to us!
    God uses a Jewish man to help us
    He works in mysterious ways.. Too wonderful for words to express !
    Wish there were more Jewish men like you.
    Such a sweet spirit… No greed.. No hypocrisy… Just a motivation to Love the hurting masses of people whether Jew or gentile 

5. Sandra says:

Thank you so very much Rabbi.I always put God first in everything to keep me grounded and thank Him for every little and big things He does for me.I am going to print this commentry.Thank you again.

6. thomas paup says:

DEAR RABBI AND STAFF, I REQUEST PRAYER FOR MYSELF. FIRST FOR MY MOTHER TO RECOVER FROM CANCER. HER NAME IS DOIRS M. PAUP AND HAS CANCER IN HER LIVER, INTESTINES, AND BOWEL. SHE SURVIVED CANCER SURGERY TWO YEARS AGO THAT SHOULD HAVE KILLED HER. SECONDLY FOR GOD’S JUSTICE WHERE WORK, WHERE I LIVE, AND MY LIFE IN GENERAL. ALSO FOR MY FRIENDS VITA, ERIC, MINA, AND JENNIFER. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU. SINCERELY, THOMAS PAUP

Add a New Comment

First Name:
Email Address: (Remains Private)